*Granted, not a lot of people are looking for a "steel building contractor", however it's important that Tru-Steel is found when they do.
Tru-Steel is a steel and metal building supplier and contractor serving Northern and Western Canada.
In the fall of 2015, James Rockwell, who had been tasked by owner Shawn Noel, with the responsibility of developing the online marketing for the company, decided to seek the assistance of a professional web development company.
Following a conversation between James Rockwell and James Martell, a recognized expert in Internet marketing local SEO and website development, and after a thorough evaluation, SmarterLocal Marketing was commissioned to work on the company's website.
Since commencing the campaign with Tru-Steel we have managed to achieve these results:
- 4,237 unique visitors to the website over last 12 months (10.8% returning)
- Top of page 1 rankings for highly competitive keywords; steel building contractor, metal building contractor, metal building constructors, steel building constructors, steel building contractors, metal building contractors, steel building suppliers, steel building supplier, metal building supplier, metal building suppliers, mine steel construction, mill steel construction
Figure 1: Ranking Top of Page #1 for the Highly Competitive Keywords
Technique #1: SmarterLocal Market Domination Blueprint to Set the Pathway for Activities and Tactics
This very important session gave us the opportunity to provide Tru-Steel with clear direction for online marketing activities, resources and to identify a clear pathway to reach their goals and objectives.
We met with the client to gather information and insight about the company: target clients, key services, differences, strengths, weaknesses, and to uncover opportunities in the local market. We used this information to devise a comprehensive SmarterLocal Market Domination Blueprint for this steel building contractor.
Technique #2: Research Strong Competitors to Identify Strengths and Weakness
The competitor research phase is designed to gain a clear understanding of who our clients strongest competitors are- their competitive advantages, value propositions, and online marketing tactics and strategies. We specifically identify;
- What do they rank for?
- What battles are they winning?
- How famous and trustworthy is their website?
- Are their pages more likely to rank than ours?
- Who can target the more competitive phrases?
- Which of their articles is getting shared the most?
- Which of their social networks is getting the best results?
- Who is sharing their content?
- Are they running paid ads?
- What framework is their site built on?
- What tracking tools are they using?
We took what we learned gaining an insight into Tru-Steel's competition, to give our team the directions needed to surpass them.
Technique #3: Highlight Client’s Value Proposition and Key Points of Difference
After researching the industry and the client’s key competitors, and also after interviewing the owner himself, we were able to identify the companies strengths and value proposition, and key points of difference compared to their competition.
We highlighted these key selling points on the home page and all services pages to ensure target prospects are able to view them easily.
Technique #4: Extensive Keyword Research for Services and Targeted Communities
We thoroughly researched the most searched keywords for all of the service pages on the website and for targeted communities. We also conducted extensive long-tail keyword research to identify which keyword phrases use when searching for information related to the company’s primary services.
Technique #5: Visual Content Marketing with Professional Photography
Nothing compares to getting your own authentic photos for your website, social media and promotional materials. As a result, we pulled our team together to identify the types and number of shots we needed to visually communicate Tru-Steel's capabilities.
A collection of photos were provided by the client and we organized them into galleries.
Figure 2: 20+ Photo Galleries Showcase Tru-Steel's Capabilities
Technique #6: Develop a Website to Attract the Target Audience
The website reflects the brand. It is the first impression a visitor will form when they visit the website for the first time. The main goals of the website are to attract and educate the target audience. The final goal is to entice them to complete an action, which was to call to request a free quotation. This was accomplished by adhering to these key principles;
- Search engines prefer websites that are properly organized. So do people. We organize the website so both the search engines and visitors easily find what they need.
- People do get frustrated when they can not find the contact information for the business. We ensure that all contact details are on the homepage and in the footer of every page.
- Online, looks are everything, and there’s nothing more unprofessional than photos that are poorly lit, out of focus, too small, or low in quality. We understand it pays to embrace professional photography.
- People are impatient when browsing websites and slow load times impact conversions (getting people to buy your products or services). We pay attention to page load times.
- More people are accessing websites via a mobile device than a desktop computer. The website must be easy to navigate and look great on both mobile devices and desktops.
Figure 2: Professional Site Designed to Attract Tru-Steel's Ideal Client
Technique #7: Build More Niche Service Pages
We extensively researched appropriate keywords for all of the service pages on the website. We also conducted comprehensive long-tail keyword research to find out which search terms that users used to find information related to the company’s main services.
This comprehensive keyword research enabled us to devise a strategy to help Tru-Steel target all the important aspects of their business.
Technique #8: Video Sales Letter to Do Much of the Heavy Lifting
Once we identified the company's strengths, value proposition, key differences from their competitors, and understood the intricate details of the needs of their clients, we then assisted with the development of a video sales letter.
Technique #9: Implement SEO Best Practices for On-Page Optimization
SEO is a marketing discipline focused on growing visibility in organic (non-paid) search engine results. We implemented best practices for search engine optimization of the steel building contractor's website adhering to Google webmaster guidelines;
- Develop unique and original SEO friendly content that keeps both visitors and search engines happy. Our goal is to develop a website where visitors can quickly find the information they need.
- Planning and design of the technical, functional and visual components of a website - before it is designed, developed and deployed to ensure the proper indexation of the Tru-Steel website.
- Individually crafted pages with uniquely-written title tags, meta descriptions, headline tags, and filenames with targeted keywords for all pages.
- Performed a mobile website speed test with the Google PageSpeed Insights tool and received and implemented the recommendations for improving website performance across all devices.
- Added “No Follow” links to 'non-important' pages.
- Add image ALT tags to all relevant images.
- Other technical SEO setups.
"If you want to really get it done and move the needle. James Martell and his SmarterLocal team are whom you want in your corner. I’ve listened to his podcast for years absorbing all the value he so freely gives. The knowledge, value, and experience he gives are second to none. TOP NOTCH! It was because of his experience I chose him as my mentor for my podcast and to work with him to revamp my website."Tequila Dodard,
Host, Stand Out Be You
"I have worked with James and Arlene now for over 4 years. They have earned my trust and I’m grateful to have them on my team. They have done my website, search optimized it and shown me how to blog and podcast on my own. Their work has greatly contributed to the success of my business and I would refer them to any business owner looking to succeed online. Plus, they are great people."Dr. Cale Copeland BScN, DC,
Victoria Family Chiropractic
"James is a one of a kind – an Internet marketing rock star. When he has spoken at Affiliate Summit, his sessions always receive a 10 out of 10. In a space with many imitators and pretenders, James is the real deal."Shawn Collins,
Co-founder, Affiliate Summit
Co-Editor-in-Chief of FeedFront Magazine
Founder of GeekCast.FM