I have worked with James and Arlene from SmarterLocal Marketing for over 4 years. They have earned my trust and I’m grateful to have them on my team. They have done my website, search optimized it and shown me how to blog and podcast on my own. Their work has greatly contributed to the success of my business and I would refer them to any business owner looking to succeed online. Plus, they are great people.Dr. Cale Copeland, Victoria Family Chiropractic
Dr. Cale Copeland is a well-known chiropractic doctor with a family-oriented clinic in Canada.
In the Summer of 2017, Dr. Copeland decided to seek assistance from a professional local marketing agency who could take care of the online presence of the practice.
Following a conversation between Dr. Copeland and James Martell - a local customer acquisition specialist, and after a thorough evaluation of the existing online marketing, SmarterLocal Marketing was commissioned to develop Dr. Cale Copeland's new website.
Since commencing the campaign with Dr. Cale Copeland we have managed to achieve these results:
- 44 new patients in 30 days (second best month ever)
- An average of 20+ new patients per month
- 71 Google reviews (up from 3) averaging 4.9 stars
- Email marketing strategy …from ZERO to 700+ subscribers
- SEO …#1 or #2 in Google for all keywords that matter most; Victoria chiropractor, chiropractor in Victoria, Victoria chiropractic, Victoria chiropractors, Victoria BC chiropractor, Victoria BC chiropractic
Figure 1: #1 in the Google Map and Natural Results for Most Popular Keywords
Technique #1: SmarterLocal Market Domination Blueprint to Set the Pathway for Activities and Tactics
This very important session gave us the opportunity to provide Dr. Copeland with clear direction for online marketing activities, resources and to identify a clear pathway to reach his goals and objectives.
We met with the doctor to gather information and insight about the practice: target patients, key services, differences, strengths, weaknesses, and to uncover opportunities in the local market. We used this information to devise a comprehensive SmarterLocal Market Domination Blueprint for Dr. Cale Copeland.
Technique #2: Research Strong Competitors to Identify Strengths and Weakness
The competitor research phase is designed to gain a clear understanding of who our clients strongest competitors are- their competitive advantages, value propositions, and online marketing tactics and strategies. We specifically identify;
- What do they rank for?
- What battles are they winning?
- How famous and trustworthy is their website?
- Are their pages more likely to rank than ours?
- Who can target the more competitive phrases?
- Which of their articles is getting shared the most?
- Which of their social networks is getting the best results?
- Who is sharing their content?
- Are they running paid ads?
- What framework is their site built on?
- What tracking tools are they using?
By gaining an insight into Dr. Copeland's competitors, we take what we learned to give our team clear directions and targets on how to surpass them.
Technique #3: Highlight Dr. Cale Copeland’s Value Proposition and Key Points of Difference
After researching the industry and Dr. Copeland’s competitors, and also after interviewing Dr. Cale Copeland himself, we were able to identify Dr. Copeland’s strengths and value proposition, and key points of difference compared to his competition.
We highlighted these key selling points on the home page and all services pages to ensure target prospects are able to view them easily.
Technique #4: Extensive Keyword Research for Targeted Communities, Services, Blog and Podcast Content
We thoroughly researched the most searched keywords for all of the service pages on the website and for all targeted communities. We also conducted extensive long-tail keyword research to identify which keyword phrases use when searching for information related to Dr. Copeland’s primary services.
This keyword research enabled us to develop a strategy to help Dr. Copeland target all of the key communities in Greater Victoria.
The keyword research covered short-tail but also long-tail keywords for blog and podcast content development.
Technique #5: Visual Content Marketing with Professional Photography
Nothing compares to getting your own authentic photos for your website, social media and promotional materials. As a result, we pulled our team together to identify the types and number of shots we needed to visually communicate the Victoria Family Chiropractic brand.
A photoshoot was then organized to capture the required shots.
Figure 2: A Collection of 25 Professional Photos Adds the Right Touch
Technique #6: Develop a Website to Attract the Target Audience
The website reflects the brand. It is the first impression a visitor will form when they visit the website for the first time. The main goals of the website are to attract and educate the target audience. The final goal is to entice them to complete an action, which was to call to schedule an appointment with Dr. Cale Copeland. This was accomplished by adhering to these key principles;
- Search engines prefer websites that are properly organized. So do people. We organize the website so both the search engines and visitors easily find what they need.
- People do get frustrated when they can not find the contact information for the business. We ensure that all of your contact details are on the homepage and in the footer of every page.
- Online, looks are everything, and there’s nothing more unprofessional than photos that are poorly lit, out of focus, too small, or low in quality. We understand it pays to embrace professional photography.
- People are impatient when browsing websites and slow load times impact conversions (getting people to buy your products or services). We pay attention to page load times.
- More people are accessing websites via a mobile device than a desktop computer. The website must be easy to navigate and look great on both mobile devices and desktops.
Figure 2: Professional Site Designed to Attract Dr. Cale Copeland's Ideal Client
Technique #7: Build More Niche Service Pages
We extensively researched appropriate keywords for all of the service pages on the website and for all targeted communities with Greater Victoria. We also conducted comprehensive long-tail keyword research to find out which search terms that users used to find information related to Dr. Cale Copeland’s main services.
This comprehensive keyword research enabled us to devise a strategy to help Dr. Cale Copeland target all the important suburbs in Sydney.
The keyword research not only covers short-tail but also long-tail keywords for blog content development.
Technique #8: Implement SEO Best Practices for On-Page Optimization
SEO is a marketing discipline focused on growing visibility in organic (non-paid) search engine results. We implemented best practices for search engine optimization of Dr. Cale Copeland's website adhering to Google webmaster guidelines;
- Develop unique and original SEO friendly content that keeps both visitors and search engines happy. Our goal is to develop a website where visitors can quickly find the information they need.
- Planning and design of the technical, functional and visual components of a website - before it is designed, developed and deployed to ensure the proper indexation of Dr. Cale Copeland’s website.
- Individually crafted pages with uniquely-written title tags, meta descriptions, headline tags, and filenames with targeted keywords for all pages.
- Performed a mobile website speed test with the Google PageSpeed Insights tool and received and implemented the recommendations for improving website performance across all devices.
- Added “No Follow” links to 'non-important' pages.
- Add image ALT tags to all relevant images.
- Other technical SEO setups.
Technique #9: Gain 5 Star Reviews - Greatest SEO Weapon
In addition to improving your local search ranking, reviews also help increase customer trust and influence decision making. In a study by BrightLocal, it was found that 90% of consumers read online reviews before visiting a local business.
For these reasons, we worked with Dr. Cale Copeland's and his staff to take the steps necessary to gain positive reviews from existing patients and address negative reviews to ensure the problems are solved to prevent future negative reviews.
These reviews help Dr. Cale Copeland to have:
- Increased Local Rankings: The quality and quantity of reviews are the most important factors that affect Google ranking. The more quality reviews you have, the higher you will rank in Google.
- Increased Trust & Conversions: Positive reviews have been proven to help speed up decisions about purchases. 68% say positive reviews make them trust a local business more.
- Increased Brand Authority: When people read great reviews about the Dr. Cale Copeland brand, they will be more likely to start with a great impression of Dr. Cale Copeland's practice, and more likely to spread the word to their family and friends.
- Increased Referral Traffic: Dr. Cale Copeland gained referral traffic from not only Google My Business, but from Facebook and other local and industry review sites as well.
- Gain Critical Feedback: Sometimes doing business isn’t perfect. In both positive and negative reviews of Dr. Cale Copeland’s operation, Dr. Copeland found critical pieces of information and feedback that he could use to make his practice even better.
Figure 3: 71 Google Reviews (up from 3) with an Average 4.9 Stars
Technique #10: Engage, Nurture Existing Patients through Email Marketing
According to the Direct Marketing Association (DMA), email had a median ROI of 122% in 2016. This statistic in itself is sufficient to highlight the importance of email marketing. Thus, it is imperative that we utilize the power of email marketing to grow Dr. Cale Copeland's practice and proposed the following solutions;
- Setup an email marketing management solution
- Import all existing patient emails
- Personalize newsletter templates with logo and contact information
- Provide a proven email template to request reviews
And, introduce email list building tactics via the website and social media.
Technique #11: Drive Community Engagement through Blogging
After reviewing our research on Dr. Cale Copeland’s target audience, content voice, their market persona and matching it to our long-tail keyword research, we presented a content plan designed to promote Dr. Copeland as the industry leader.
Through careful analysis, we discovered additional opportunities for search traffic. By using analytical reports, we were able to identify content topics that Dr. Copeland’s audience was interested in.
This allowed us to better connect with the target audience and generate more leads.
Increase Blog Engagement
To help increase audience engagement, we taught Dr. Copeland how to fine-tune his writing style to help encourage questions and comments from site visitors.
This content plan covered the topics that users would search for and we proposed a varied type of content to engage visitors and increase social sharing, including;
- Informative articles
- Useful guides
Technique #12: Positive ROI Ad Spend
The benefits of a well managed Google Adwords advertising campaign, often far outweigh the costs involved. This was the case with Dr. Copeland. We started by running a variety of carefully crafted paid ads to reach more potential patients emphasizing the doctor's offer, strengths, value proposition and differences.
We targeted all communities within Greater Victoria paying particular attention to how many leads and patients had been generated, which keyword generated the most traffic and leads, and pruning poorly performing keywords and ads.
We worked to further maximize conversion and ROI by running ads only during open hours, targeting high converting and long tail keywords, targeting only qualified prospects and optimizing the ads.
Technique #13: Build High-Quality Links
Quality incoming links, also known as backlinks, from other reputable websites are a very important component of local SEO. Poor quality links not only will not increase rankings, but can also trigger a penalty, if the site linked to has violated Google's webmaster guidelines.
We take link building very seriously and we make sure that all the sites that we place links on are well screened before any placement. Some of the link building we did include;
- Outreach to relevant blogs to feature Dr. Cale Copeland’s content and gain quality backlinks to the website
- Listing of the website on leading medical, health and local directories
- Submission of videos, infographics, and relevant marketing material to reputable sites
"If you want to really get it done and move the needle. James Martell and his SmarterLocal team are whom you want in your corner. I’ve listened to his podcast for years absorbing all the value he so freely gives. The knowledge, value, and experience he gives are second to none. TOP NOTCH! It was because of his experience I chose him as my mentor for my podcast and to work with him to revamp my website."Tequila Dodard,
Host, Stand Out Be You
"I have worked with James and Arlene from SmarterLocal Marketing for over 4 years. They have earned my trust and I’m grateful to have them on my team. They have done my website, search optimized it and shown me how to blog and podcast on my own. Their work has greatly contributed to the success of my business and I would refer them to any business owner looking to succeed online. Plus, they are great people."Dr. Cale Copeland BScN, DC,
Victoria Family Chiropractic
"James is a one of a kind – an Internet marketing rock star. When he has spoken at Affiliate Summit, his sessions always receive a 10 out of 10. In a space with many imitators and pretenders, James is the real deal."Shawn Collins,
Co-founder, Affiliate Summit
Co-Editor-in-Chief of FeedFront Magazine
Founder of GeekCast.FM